Monday, March 13, 2006

1981. Few talked about China or India or Brazil or Turkey...as economic or political forces. 1989. As the Berlin Wall came down and the Soviet Union unraveled, business schools were teaching just-in-time management made in Japan. Dubai was essentially a stop on the way to Hong Kong.

1984. On a private study tour to Hong Kong, I stopped over in Dubai. The future stared me in the face. And I never stopped thinking and talking about it. I was to later meet some of their delegates during UN Habitat II in Istanbul who confirmed the inexorable march to stardom.

1995. The UN Conference on Women took us to Beijing. It was one big construction site! My tour told me things....The future was here! This I shared with my colleagues and some of our kind hosts. And I told every Chinese I could to start learning English and French!

1996. UN Habitat II Summit took us to Istanbul. My tour told me that Turkey was no East-West Junction for nothing. It will be the future glue of the Full Europe! Its secular state is good for Turkey, good for Europe, good for the meeting of religious civilisations and the conversations of cultures. I encouraged our kind hosts to pick up European Languages fast.

Today, Dubai-UAE is a destination of choice. Turkey is on its way to EU membership. China, India and Brazil are key to the new world order, starting if you like with the WTO. Lesson!

These highlights are the oil with which Dear Africa and its Diaspora must eat the roasted yams of our own renaissance. Nigeria, South Africa and Egypt must lead the way. And the time has ticked into injury time now....we must play catch-up!

If our politicians seek legacies of honour, and our sons and daughters abroad get on board (whether invited/solicited or not), 10 Years will be enough to turn things around. For sure, I know that of Nigeria....if the right team takes over in 2007, we can surprise the world in 5 YEARS flat!

All countries of the continent must embrace DUAL nationality for citizens in diaspora by the end of 2006. Crucial. And NEPAD/AU should not go the OAU way!!

As I reflect this day, I worry and wonder. Keep a date...and get posted why. As I contemplate the future, I remain in the assurance that, at least for some important countries, Nigeria inclusive, the rebound is in view. Keep a date...for why I'm sure!

No comments: